Air Quality Solutions Diagnosed, Prescribed and Monitored by MMC
For the spaces we LEARN, WORK, HEAL, EXERCISE, DINE, AND LIVE IN!
WHY A HEALTHY BUILDING?
While the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic has brought heightened awareness to our personal health, the ability to combat harmful particles and contaminants, including Covid-19, starts with the spaces we occupy every day. The health of our buildings can play a significant part in how we are achieving personal health or falling short. From the spaces we interact in to the air we breathe, being proactive and intelligent with our Healthy Building Solutions is not only key to bringing our lives back to normal, but a future that entails a healthier life for us all.
HOW DO YOU SUPPORT A HEALTHY BUILDING?
- DIAGNOSE – Like people, buildings have different needs for optimum health. The initial phase is connecting with MMC to determine current building health and goals for optimum health specific to that building.
- PRESCRIBE – Based on the initial consultations, the right solution or mix of solutions will be presented and implemented in achieving the building’s health goals.
- MONITOR – Through particle monitoring, data collection and ongoing preventive maintenance and care, the Healthy Building Solution can evolve and grow to ensure the health of the building is being achieved.
Potential Prescribed Solutions:
Most often, spread of novel coronavirus from person-to-person is believed to happen among close contacts (about 6 ft or 2m). Person-to-person spread is thought to occur mainly via respiratory droplet nuclei produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, like how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. These droplet nuclei can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. If these droplets are hearty enough to survive a period of time in the air, they can be spread in a building by the air handling system.
Viruses that are airborne can be safeguarded against with high doses of UVC in the Air stream. For the most effective microbial control, Steril-Aire UV germicidal Emitters are installed on the supply side of the system, downstream from the cooling coil and above the drain pan. This location provides more effective biofilm and microbial control than in-duct UVC installations.
BENEFIT OF UVC LIGHT:
- Reduces HVAC energy costs by restoring heat transfer and net cooling capacity.
- Continuous Coil Cleaning high output UVC specifically designed for cold air applications that will keep coils clean and save energy.
- Uses germicidal UVC irradiation proven as an effective inactivation method for mold, bacteria and viruses.
- Improves Indoor Air Quality (IAQ).
- Produces no ozone or other secondary contaminants.
- UVC light Kits are fast, easy installation specifically designed for easy and cost-effective installation with one electrical connection; no additional framing required. Pre-wired from the factory, significantly reducing installation time and HVAC downtime.
- Continuous Coil Cleaning saves HVAC energy and provides cleaner air to the occupied space.
NEGATIVE PRESSURE EQUIPMENT
Many facilities are being proactive and having our team install negative pressure equipment to combat particles and sub-micron contaminants, including Covid-19 and other viruses to keep their patients and staff safe.
Our team can modify patient rooms to be equipped with negative pressure units. In the example shown below, the room is negative minus 3.6 this is with the unit running at 25 percent of capacity.
Our team installed the unit to create air flow to go from the back of the dentist or hygienist across the patient’s lap and to the unit.*
*The image depicts a flex connection which was changed out to hard pipe later as they need to wipe down the unit on a regular basis.
MERV 13 FILTER CHANGES
Filters are an exceptional means to trap particulates and sub-micron contaminants. The smaller the contaminant’s diameter, the denser the filter media must be to capture. MERV 13 filters capture airborne viruses and bacteria from coughs and sneezes. While there’s no guarantee a strong air filter will protect your facility and its occupants from the coronavirus, they are one step that can be taken to reduce risk. In addition, clean air helps keep your immune system strong.
EVAPORATOR COIL CLEANING
Right now, is a great time to have coil cleaning done. Coil cleaning removes any dirt and debris that may build up between the coils along with removing any bacterial or microbials that may be floating in the air stream.
BI -POLAR IONIZATION | HEALTHIER INDOOR AIR
Bi-polar ionization creates cold plasma discharge that consists of positive ions (H+) and negative ions (O2–) from water vapor in the air. These ions have the property of clustering around micro-particles and gases, and thus, they surround harmful substances such as airborne mold, viruses, bacteria, volatile organic compounds, and allergens. At that point, a chemical reaction occurs on the cell membrane surface and they are transformed into OH radicals, a powerfully active but unstable material, which robs the harmful substance of a hydrogen atom (H). As a result,they are inactivated by severing the protein on the cell membrane, opening holes. The OH radicals instantly bond with the removed hydrogen (H), forming water vapor (H2O), and return to the air.
- Bi-polar ionization (cold plasma), replicates the same positive and negative ions found abundantly in nature (forests, mountains, ocean shorelines, etc.(. The bi-polar plasma process will artificially create the ions found in these desirable locations and supply them into the building, enhancing the indoor air quality. The ions turn into OH radicals only on the surface of harmful substances to inactivate them, so they are completely harmless to the human body and pets.
- Bi-polar ionization will effectively eliminate bacteria, viruses, mold and volatile organic compounds by working directly on the air contained in the entire zone and duct.
- The plasma process consumes a minuscule amount of electricity, less than a 5 watt light bulb, in most applications.
HEPA FILTRATION DEVICES
Common standards require that a HEPA air filter must remove—from the air that passes through—at least 99.95% (European Standard) or 99.97% of particles whose diameter is equal to 0.3um with the filtration efficiency increasing for particle diameters both less than and greater than 0.3 μm.
HEPA filters are used in applications that require contamination control, such as the manufacturing of disk drives, medical devices, semiconductors, nuclear, food and pharmaceutical products, as well as in hospitals, homes and vehicles.
BENEFITS OF HEPA FILTRATION:
- HEPA air purifiers are great for facilities with carpet, which can trap allergens.
- HEPA helps reduce allergy and asthma triggers.
- Sealed HEPA filters on vacuums mean that large amounts of particulates won’t recirculate back into the return air flow.
- HEPA is effective at removing micro-particles from the air.
HANDS-FREE FAUCETS & FLUSH VALVES | A HEALTHIER ENVIRONMENT
Minimizing infections starts with the restrooms as they tend to collect viruses and bacteria more than any other part of a commercial building. Employees and visitors often spread germs when flushing the toilet and washing their hands.
A hands-free bathroom provides a healthier environment by removing several common touch points. Without knobs and levers, it’s harder to pass germs in the bathroom. With less chances to transfer illness, a business can benefit from a reduction in employee absenteeism.
Auto flush toilets, hands-free faucets and other smart alternatives also increase the efficiency of a bathroom. They reduce waste, because they are programmed to provide the right amount of water at the appropriate time.
For example, when you start a hands free faucet, it delivers water for a short time rather than remaining on for as long as the visitor chooses. As a result, faucets and toilets save resources. These more efficient types of fixtures can help building owners cut costs on water bills over time.
WATER SYSTEM FLUSHES | THE RISK OF STAGNANT WATER
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many buildings have experienced long periods of little to no water usage due to reduced usage levels or being shutdown entirely. Stagnant or standing water in plumbing systems increases the risk for growth and spread of Legionella and other bio-film-associated bacteria. It’s important to ensure that your facility’s water system is safe to use after a prolonged shutdown to minimize the risk of Legionnaire’s disease and other diseases associated with water.
THE SOLUTION: WATER SYSTEM FLUSHES
Completing a water system flush is the best way to make sure the water in your facility’s plumbing system is safe to use. The steps for conducting a water system flush are as follows:
- Flush hot and cold water through all points of use (e.g. showers, sink faucets). Flushing may need to occur in segments depending on facility size and water pressure. The purpose of building flushing is to replace all the stagnant water in the system with fresh water.
- Flush until the hot water reaches its maximum temperature.
- Care should be taken to minimize splashing and aerosol generation during flushing.
- Any devices using water, such as ice machines, may require additional cleaning steps in addition to flushing. Follow the manufacturers’ instructions for these devices.
Our Service Techs can conduct the water system flush for your facility and can do an inspection to make sure your system is up and running properly and efficiently after periods of shutdown or reduced usage.
METHODS FOR MONITORING | PARTICLE AND ION MONITORING
Customers are trusting MMC to create Healthy Buildings for them by deploying Bi-Polar Ionization systems in buildings. Bi-Polar Ionization is a great asset for continuous disinfection of occupied spaces by addressing airborne and surface-dwelling pathogens and contaminants. Many customers have asked “How do I know if I am getting the right Ion density in the spaces” and “How can I tell if this is working or not? MMC puts customers at ease by deploying Ion monitoring. With our duct mount and wall mount solutions, we can continuously monitor ion density in an occupied space to assure customers the investment in their Bi-Polar Ionization system is yielding proper results. Ion monitoring is a great supplement and must have for customers who deploy these continuous disinfectant solutions yet cannot rely on the unreliable readings provided by handheld meters. By applying our practices of AI and predictive analytics to Ion Monitoring, MMC can bring customers actionable and tactical data from these Edge IoT devices to make the right decisions about their buildings.
Indoor air quality monitoring has been on the market for over a decade; however, most of these sensors specifically target Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2). MMC is bringing customers a new level of information to make informed decisions by deploying PM2.5 and PM1 particle monitoring. Now MMC is giving building owners and occupants the most comprehensive data regarding indoor air quality. By continuously monitoring the concentration of airborne particles and molecules down to 1 micron in size, MMC can provide historical and live trend data for airborne contaminants.
Applying Edge Analytics to particle monitoring, MMC is providing real, meaningful data to customers to create Healthy Buildings.
Contact our team to learn more about keeping your building healthy! We partner with schools, hospitals, data centers, industrial facilities, laboratories, office building, performing arts, retail sports centers and more. Call 952-941-7010 for more information.