11 Steps to Improve Indoor Air Quality
Prioritizing indoor air quality is especially important for building owners and homeowners. Poor IAQ can cause health issues such as diseases, asthma, headaches, fatigue and irritation of eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. There are many factors that can affect IAQ. Some things that you should do to improve air quality in your home or building include:
- Improve ventilation – Proper ventilation is one of the most important ways to improve IAQ. Your HVAC system will heat, cool, and move air around the building. It is important that your building is the getting the correct amount of ventilation based on the number of people and the equipment in the building.
- Indoor air quality monitoring – Air quality monitors can keep track of the various pollutants in your building. If your monitor shows that your IAQ is poor, then you may need to figure out what is causing the problem so you can fix it.
- Control pollutant sources – Controlling sources of pollutants improves IAQ. Human activities and machine operation can create pollution. Whenever possible, do what you can to remove pollutants or seal pollutants away from human traffic.
- Use the right air filters – Make sure that your building’s air filters have the proper MERV rating to reduce pollution.
- Clean and vacuum regularly – If you do not clean and vacuum regularly, mold, dust, allergens, and contaminants can build up. Clean your building with eco-friendly products that do not release harsh chemicals.
- Use air cleaners – Air cleaning devices such as dehumidifiers and air purifiers can help keep your IAQ at the proper levels.
- Do not block air vents/grills – Air vents and grills help to circulate air through your building. Make sure that your vents are not blocked by furniture.
- Control moisture levels – High humidity and moisture levels can lead to the growth of molds and other pollutants.
- Bipolar Ionization – Bi-polar ionization is a technology that can deactivate harmful substances in the air such as mold, viruses, bacteria, and allergens.
- UV Lighting – UV lighting in your HVAC systems can prevent the spread of airborne viruses and improve IAQ.
- HVAC Maintenance – Regular maintenance of your HVAC systems will ensure that all your equipment is working properly. Properly working HVAC systems will give your building the fresh air you need and prevent the spread of pollutants.
MMC Provides Indoor Air Quality Services
At Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors, we offer services that can help improve IAQ. Our team can provide HVAC maintenance, UV lighting, bi-polar ionization and more. We can create an HVAC service plan that fits the needs of your application. MMC can provide ventilation upgrades and filter changes. We serve customers throughout the Midwest. Contact us today to learn more.