HVAC SOLUTIONS TO COMBAT COVID-19 IN COMMERCIAL FACILITIES
Many facilities are looking for ways to protect building occupants against COVID-19. Fortunately, there are several proactive HVAC measures that can be taken to put buildings in a better position to protect occupants and patients. Here are just a few of the things HVAC service contractors can do to make your facility safer:
- UV LIGHTING. Viruses that are airborne can be safeguarded against with high doses of UVC in the Airstream. For the most effective microbial control, Steril-Aire UV germicidal Emitters are installed on the supply side of the system, downstream from the cooling coil and above the drain pan. This location provides more effective biofilm and microbial control than in-duct UVC installations. Germicidal UVC irradiation is proven to be an effective inactivation method for mold, bacteria and viruses.
- MERV-13 FILTERS. Filters are an exceptional means to trap particulates and sub micron contaminants. The smaller the contaminant’s diameter, the denser the filter media must be to capture. MERV-13 filters capture airborne viruses and bacteria from coughs and sneezes. While there’s no guarantee a strong air filter will protect your facility and its occupants from the Coronavirus, they are one step that can be taken to reduce risk.
- EVAPORATOR COIL CLEANING. Coil cleaning removes any dirt and debris that may build up between the coils along with removing any bacteria or microbials that may be floating in the air stream. This will kill anything in the air that has gotten in between the coils along with providing overall energy efficiency because compressors won’t be working as hard with dirty plugged up coils.
- NEGATIVE PRESSURE EQUIPMENT. Many medical and dental facilities are installing negative pressure equipment to combat COVID-19 and other viruses in an effort to keep their patients and staff safe. Patient rooms can be equipped with negative pressure units which capture the contaminated air and produce clean, non-contaminated air. A negative pressure environment will help to contain the mold, dust, particles, and odors within the workspace containment barrier.
- HANDS-FREE FAUCETS AND FLUSH VALVES. Minimizing infections starts with the restrooms as they tend to collect viruses and bacteria more than any other part of a commercial building. Employees and visitors often spread germs when flushing the toilet and washing their hands. A hands-free bathroom provides a healthier environment by removing several common touch points. As a bonus, hands-free faucets and toilets save resources. These more efficient types of fixtures can help building owners cut costs on water bills over time.
- BI-POLAR IONIZATION. Bi-polar ionization helps to eliminate harmful pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, airborne mold, allergens, and volatile organic compounds from the air and improves indoor air quality.
How MMC Supports Healthy Buildings
Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors provides the services and technology you need to help combat COVID-19 and improve indoor air quality. We will work with you to determine your current building health and goals to improve the health of your building. We take the following steps to improve building health:
- DIAGNOSE – Like people, buildings have different needs for optimum health. The initial phase is connecting with MMC to determine current building health and goals for optimum health specific to that building.
- PRESCRIBE – Based on the initial consultations, the right solution or mix of solutions will be presented and implemented in achieving the building’s health goals.
- MONITOR – Through particle monitoring, data collection and ongoing preventive maintenance and care, the Healthy Building Solution can evolve and grow to ensure the health of the building is being achieved.
We can install UV lighting, MERV-13 filters, negative pressure equipment, hands-free faucets and flush valves, and bi-polar ionization technology. Some services we can provide include:
- Coil cleaning
- Filter changes
- Preventative maintenance
- Repairs, replacements & upgrades
- Water system flushes
For more information on how to protect your facility from COVID-19 and other airborne viruses, click HERE.
If you are interested in working with MMC to combat COVID-19 in your facility, contact us today.